AREA OF ACTIVITY
A coatings company with its origins in the Netherlands has inevitably become closely involved with the protection of sea defences.
Steel structures in coastal defences and in and around harbours and jetties are subjected to highly corrosive conditions:
- Rapid corrosion in immersed, tidal and atmospheric zones caused by an abundant supply of salt water and oxygen.
- Exposure to sun as well as wind and tides.
- Serious corrosion in crevices, joints and difficult to reach places.
- Cathodic protection - often a problem for coating systems that are not well designed.
- Mechanical damage resulting from scrapes, the scratches and knocks often destroy the coating systems, particularly at edges.
The coastal environment can be very fragile and for many years now our product development has focused on minimising environmental impact:
Below is a selection of Sigma Protective Coatings product ranges specifically designed for use on coastal defences:
- Tar-free coatings, e.g. SigmaCover 805
- Reduction of blasting abrasive and paint residues by use of coatings that are tolerant to lower grades of surface preparation, e.g. SigmaCover 630
- Reduction in solvent emissions due to the use of higher solids coatings.